Previous Mayor and civic-minded businessman Charles Boeschenstein wrote to Andrew Carnegie and asked for assistance in building a public library for the town of Edwardsville. Andrew Carnegie’s check for $12,000 arrived by return mail.
The library soon moved from a room in City Hall to a brand new “Carnegie Library” building, which was built in City Park and dedicated in 1906. Land for City Park had been set aside in the 1820’s by Ninian Edwards and Benjamin Stephenson.
For more information go to the library's website.