- Your Government
- Parks & Recreation
- Parks Information
- The R.P. Lumber CENTER
- Public Skating Sessions
Public Skating Sessions
CLICK HER FOR MAY PUBLIC SESSIONS
CLICK HERE FOR JUNE PUBLIC SESSION SCHEDULE
CLICK HERE FOR PRIVATE LESSON INTEREST FORM
Come out to The RP Lumber Center with your friends and family
and enjoy public ice skating sessions!
A public skating session is a leisure skating session for skaters of all ages and abilities. It is common to see skaters of all ages and abilities on the ice during public skating sessions. Figure skaters are able to get in some practice during public skating sessions. Beginners, recreational skaters, and hockey players skate on sessions that are open to the general public.
Public Session skaters may wear protective helmets, such as hockey or bicycle helmets. Also, gloves (hockey or regular) may be worn to keep hands warm and protected on public sessions. NO hockey sticks are allowed during public sessions. There are no exceptions and no refunds will be given for this rule. Thank you.
Please visit our Learn to Skate Program for information regarding lessons.
Rental skates and skate mates are available to rent. Check below for rules and information.
Rental Skates and Skate Aids Available
Rental hockey/figure skates are available during public sessions for a $3 rental fee.
Socks must be worn when renting skates.
No skates? No problem. Figure skates and hockey skates are available to rent. Skates are of good strong quality and ideal for rental.
- Figure skates are available in size Child 8 through Adult 13
- Hockey skates are available in size Child 1 through Adult 14
Skate Aids are available for rent during public sessions.
- Dress warmly. Long sleeves, pants and gloves are encouraged. Rink temperature averages around 60 degrees.
- Skaters are not allowed to carry children or secondary items, such as cell phones, cameras, or handbags while skating.
- Patrons may not sit on, lean over, or leave articles on the dasher boards.
- For skater's protection, headphones and earbuds are not permitted while skating.
- Helmets are strongly recommended for all participants.
- Keep all exits clear at all times.
- All skaters must pay the public skating fee or present their annual membership for entry and receive wristband.
- All skaters must have a wristband to enter the ice. Wristbands are provided at check-in.
- Please leave the ice promptly if the ice is going to be cleaned and when the session has concluded.
- Patrons must wear skates on the ice.
- No stick or puck play (ball) is allowed.
- Roughness, excessive speeding, weaving through skaters, horseplay, tag or chasing is not allowed.
- Figure skating (jumps, spins) are not allowed during public skate sessions.
- Food and beverages are not permitted on the ice at any time.
- Skates are not allowed in the bleacher area.
- No more than two people can skate together.
- During resurfacing, all doors must remain closed and no one is permitted on the ice.
Can I bring my own ice/hockey skates?
You can wear your own hockey and figure skates during public session. We do not allow speed skates during public sessions, however.
Is there somewhere to lock up my belongings while I skate?
Yes, we have complimentary lockers for our guests to use.
Do I have to pay to watch my family skate?
No, if you're not going to skate, you don't have to pay to watch.
Why did the Zamboni interrupt the public session?
Sometimes, depending on the attendance, its necessary resurface the ice to pick up excessive snow and fill in heavy rutting.
What size skates do you have for rent?
We have sizes 8 youth to 13 adult.
What age can children start skating?
We have seen children as young as three years old on the ice.
Can I bring my own food in during the session?
No outside food is allowed, but we have a pretty awesome concession stand!
Should I wear a helmet?
We strongly encourage, but its not required.
Do I need to show proof of residency?
Yes, in order to apply the appropriate fee.
Can I go on ice in my street shoes?
No, skate are required to be on the ice.
We enjoyed the public session. Do you offer season passes?
We offer memberships, which includes access to all public sessions, the indoor track and the fitness center.