Single Family Residential Rehabilitation Program
The City of Edwardsville is now offering a Single Family Residential Rehabilitation Program. It is designed to provide eligible single-family homeowners an opportunity to make improvements to older homes in Edwardsville with a forgivable loan offered by the City. The program was launched in September 2023, and will provide approved participants with up to $25,000 for permitted projects. Funds for the rehabilitation project will be provided to the assisted homeowner as a five-year forgivable loan. The City anticipates assisting eight to 12 rehabilitation projects per year; applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
This is an Economic and Community Development program being administered in conjunction with the Public Works Department.
- Home must have been built before 1985.
- Home must have a Department of Revenue equalized value of $60,000 or less per the Madison County Assessor's most recent assessment.
- The home must be owner-occupied and meet the following income guidelines:
CONTACT: Economic and Community Development Coordinator James Arnold
APPLICATION: Click HERE for printable application. Fill out and submit in person or by mail to:
Single Family Residential Rehabilitation Program, Public Works Department, 200 E. Park Street, Edwardsville, IL 62025
|Family Size Adjustment||$80,350 x 0.70||$80,350 x
|Final FY2023 Low-Income Limits||$56,250||$64,300||$72,350||$80,350||$86,800||$93,250||$99,650||$106,100|
Group 1: Highest priority
- Permanent coverings of walls, partitions, floors and ceilings, such as paneling or tiles
- Windows and doors
- Components of central air conditioning or heating systems (energy star minimum)
- Plumbing pertaining to sewer and water lines and tap on fees
- Electrical wiring
- Permit Costs
Group 2: Lowest priority
- Plumbing pertaining to fixture upgrades
- Electric pertaining to fixture upgrades
- Other components (that is, other parts of the building) relating to the operation or maintenance of the building
- Accessibility projects related to aging in place
Ineligible Rehabilitation costs:
- Cabinets (unless inherently permanent structure and part of the building)
- Decks, Porches and Porticos (that were not part of original building)
- Demolition and removal costs (of an existing building on property site)
How the Program Works
- Single-family homeowner turns in application for approval, which includes three bids from contractors registered in Illinois that are bonded and insured.
- Single-family homeowner discusses project with City, which includes contractor bids, scope of work and pre-project pictures.
- Single-family homeowner and contractor awarded a contract.
- All permits must be submitted and approved prior to work commencing.
- Upon project completion, owner must submit completed scope of work, sign off that the work has been completed, post project pictures, and submit for grant reimbursement to contractor.
- Work must be inspected by the City of Edwardsville.
- City files a five-year forgivable lien against property.
- Homeowner is required to prove ownership for the length of the lien.
- In the event that this property becomes a rental unit within this five-year period for forgiveness, homeowner will be required to pay back loan on a pro-rated monthly schedule for the time remaining.
- In the event of death or other extreme circumstances, the City of Edwardsville retains the right to determine loan forgiveness.
Please see application for full details and terms of the program.