Waste Collection & Recycling
Allied Waste/Republic Services provides residential solid waste and yard waste collection every week and recycling collection every other week in the City of Edwardsville. Residents also can utilize a large item pickup service up to four times each year.
To determine your recycling schedule, please review the recycling schedule map, which will indicate your day and route by location. Then, consult the Route A or Route B calendars for specific recycling pickup dates. If you have questions about waste collection services and recycling schedules please call Republic Services at 618-656-6883 or contact the Public Works Department at 618-692-7535 on Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Republic Services recognizes the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
If the holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday, there is no disruption in your pickup schedule. Should your pickup day fall on a holiday that is on a Monday through Friday, your trash and recycling will be collected on the following day.
- Set your trash and recycling out by 6 a.m.
- Bag or containerize all trash.
- Place trash and recycling carts close to the curb, and at least a couple of feet apart.
- Call or submit an online request to Republic Services for large item pickups.
- If you have a large amount of cardboard for recycling call Allied Waste/Republic Services in advance.
If you are having issues with your trash or recycling cart, or need to request a new one, please call Republic Services at 618-656-6883. To get help online, please visit Republic Services website and create an account, which allows you submit service requests and sign up for service alerts.
- Republic Services offers guidelines to become a better recycler: RecyclingSimplified.com
- Are you unsure about what you can and can't recycle? Check out the Accepted Materials list.
- Review the Holiday Recycling Hints list for information on how to recycle/reuse your decorations and gift wrappings for holidays and birthdays.
Yard Waste Collection
Yard waste collection is offered year-round on the same day as your regular trash pickup.
- Loose yard waste (grass clippings, smaller twigs, leaves, etc.) can be placed in paper yard waste bags (no plastic bags) or trash cans (35-gallon containers or less) marked with a large red "X."
- Use twine to bundle limbs/branches that are up to 3 inches in diameter and no more than 4 feet in length. Please keep the bundles to approximately 2 feet wide by 4 feet in length.
- Bags or cans of yard waste should not exceed 50 pounds in weight.
Madison County has operated a Christmas Tree Recycling Program for the past 25 years, and Edwardsville is among area municipalities and townships that participate by hosting recycling locations. Please see the recycling location flyer for more sites that will accept trees. For dates and times, visit Madison County's Building & Zoning website.
Large Item Trash Pickup
Residents now have the flexibility to schedule up to four household large item pickups per calendar year at no extra charge. Schedule your household large item pickup when it is convenient for you! Republic then will confirm the pickup. To see our press release please click here.
How to schedule your large item pickup:
Step 1: Fill our online form out here or call Republic Services at 618-656-6883 and provide a brief description of your items. Your pickup will be scheduled within seven days of your call.
Step 2: Place your items at the curb no more than 12 hours before your scheduled pickup.
Please do not place your items at the curb until you have scheduled a collection date with Republic Services and the date has been confirmed.
Acceptable items include: appliances; carpet, which must be cut into bundles no longer than 4’ in length and 3’ in diameter and weighing less than 50 pounds per bundle; furniture such as couches, chairs, dressers, tables, and desks; glass portions of doors and windows, which must be broken down and placed into a small box marked "glass"; and mattress sets.
Unacceptable items include: basketball sets/poles, unless they are broken down into sections and no larger than 3’ in diameter; batteries; concrete and other construction material of any kind; electronic waste, including televisions, computer monitors and accessories, DVD/VCR players, etc.; fluorescent light bulbs; lead/oil-based paint or varnish; loose trash or trash in cardboard boxes; tires; and yard waste.
For more details, please see our flyer here.
If you have additional questions, please call Republic Services Customer Service: 618-656-6883
Convenient Disposal of Sharps Waste
Allied Waste/Republic Services offers a convenient way for customers to dispose of home-generated sharps waste such as needles and syringes. This is available for anyone, even those who are not current Allied Waste/Republic Services customers. For more information regarding this program, please visit: the Republic Sharps website.