Phase 1: B-1 and MU-1 Districts
Public Hearing Scheduled - Monday, August 12, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.
The City of Edwardsville’s Plan Commission will hold a public hearing on Monday, August 12, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. in the City Council Chambers of City Hall, 118 Hillsboro Avenue, Edwardsville, IL 62025, to consider the following text amendments to the Zoning Code:
- Chapter 1252 (Definitions) of Appendix B (Zoning) of the City of Edwardsville Code of Ordinances. The proposed text amendment adds new definitions and updates selected definitions that are used throughout the zoning ordinance.
- Chapter 1242.03.1 (Central Business District) of Appendix B (Zoning) of the City of Edwardsville Code of Ordinances. The proposed text amendment will replace all existing language in Section 1242.03.1 with new text, which includes updated use regulations, updated and additional bulk standards, as well as design standards. The new text also effectively breaks the district into three sub-districts: B-1A (Central Main), B-1B (Mid-Downtown), and B-1C (Downtown Transition).
- Zoning Map Amendment – Chapter 1242.03.1 creates three sub-districts: B-1A (Central Main), B-1B (Mid-Downtown), and B-1C (Downtown Transition). A corresponding zoning map is proposed to align with the proposed text changes.
- Chapter 1242.03.3 (B-3 Mixed Use) of Appendix B (Zoning) of the City of Edwardsville Code of Ordinances. The proposed text amendment will strike the existing B-3 text and will replace it with a new district: MU-1 (Downtown Mixed Use) District. The district seeks to establish guidelines for the transition areas outside of the central business district, while allowing for the integration of commercial and residential uses.
- Text Updates for the following sections will also be considered, in order to align new language with current code sections:
- 1240.01 – Purpose.
- 1242.03 – Business.
- 1243.04 – Instances when a PUD is required.
- 1246.03 – Establishment.
- 1246.07 – Comparative table.
- 1248.02.2 – Fences, walls, and hedges.
- 1250.13 – Parking. Subsection (j) - Residential Districts.
- 1250.13 – Parking. Subsection (k) – Business, Manufacturing, and Industrial Districts.
All proposed text amendments are available below (as posted on June 28, 2019). All persons interested are invited to attend the hearing(s) and will have an opportunity to be heard. If you have questions concerning any of the material provided, please contact the Department of Public Works, Planning & Zoning Division, of the City of Edwardsville, 200 E. Park Street, Edwardsville, Illinois, 62025 or at (618) 692-7535.
June 28, 2019 - Revised Documents Available for Review
As a result of input received from the public as well as elected officials, the City is pleased to release the latest drafts for the revised B-1 (Central Business District), MU-1 (Downtown Mixed Use District), and Definitions Section.
The proposed B-1 District text effectively splits the existing B-1 Central business District into three separate districts, based on location:
- B-1-A – Central Main
- B-1-B – Mid-Downtown
- B-1-C – Downtown Transition
Major Changes to B-1 District
Each of the proposed new districts will have distinct bulk (e.g. height, setback, etc.) regulations, while uses permitted by right and uses permitted only with a Special Use Permit will be the same. A few proposed changes to note include:
- All new buildings in the B-1-A, B-1-B, and B-1-C districts must be a minimum of two-stories
- Building Height Limits
- Buildings in B-1-A may be up to five (5) stories (not exceeding 65 feet), but the fourth (4th) and fifth (5th) stories must be setback 25-feet from the front property line
- Buildings in the B-1-B district may be up to five (5) stories tall
- Buildings in the B-1-C district may only be three (3) stories tall
- Active Facades: Ground floor facades visible from a public street shall include a minimum of 65% clear glass
- Parking may not be located between the front of the building and the front property line
- Buildings shall be built to the property line in the B-1-A area and shall be setback between 5 and 20 feet from the front property line in the B-1-B and B-1-C areas
- Office uses located on the first floor of buildings in the B-1-A area will require Special Use Permits
In many instances, properties that do not conform to these new use and bulk standards will be allowed to continue as non-conforming uses. Upon redevelopment, however, the new regulations will apply. Section 1248.03 of the City’s Zoning Code specifies how non-conformities are regulated.
Although these documents are still in draft form, they are nearing finalization. We still encourage you to ask questions and share your opinions as soon as possible. The more input received from the community, the better the outcome of the zoning update. For questions, comments, or to offer feedback, contact Emily Fultz, AICP, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (618) 692-7535.
Stay tuned for an announcement of a Public Hearing regarding these documents in August.
Materials for Review:
1. Proposed B-1 District Text (includes B-1-A, B-1-B, and B-1-C)
2. Existing B-1 District Text
3. Draft Zoning District Map depicting proposed B-1-A, B-1-B, B-1-C
4. Draft Zoning District Map depicting all nearby zoning districts
5. Existing B-1 Zoning District Map (with aerial image)
6. Proposed MU-1 Text (note that this is a new district, so there is no existing text for comparison)
7. Definitions (clean version)
8. Definitions (redline version)
9. Section 1248.03 - Non-Conformities
April 8, 2019 Ordinance Committee Meeting
At the March 11, 2019 Ordinance Committee Meeting, the Committee discussed the Definitions provided below. A number of changes were suggested, which will be made and provided for public review prior to consideration by the full Plan Commission. The Ordinance Committee will convene again at its regularly scheduled meeting on April 8, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. in City Hall to discuss the draft code sections for both the B-1 and MU-1 Districts. Materials provided below for the March 11 meeting will be used as the review continues. The public is invited to attend the Ordinance Committee meeting on Monday, April 8 at 6:00 p.m. and provide feedback if they wish.
March 11, 2019 Ordinance Committee Meeting
The Plan Commission's Ordinance Committee will meet on Monday, March 11 at 6:00 p.m. in City Hall to discuss the code updates to the Definitions, as well as the B-1 and MU-1 code sections. The public is welcome to attend and the agenda is available here.
Minor changes have been made to the code sections that were presented in advance of the February 11 open house. The most current drafts are available below for review.
February 11, 2019 Open House and Draft Code Sections
Draft Zoning Code Sections
New code sections for both the B-1 and MU-1 districts have been drafted based on feedback gathered at the first open house, held last October. The code sections are still in draft form and your feedback will be used to better refine the district guidelines. The B-1 and MU-1 code sections pertain to areas in and around the downtown area, generally identified on the map below. Identification of specific parcels to which the MU-1 District guidelines could be applied will take place in the future, after consensus on the code language is established.
Select definitions have also been updated to correspond to the new text developed for the B-1 and MU-1 sections. The full definitions chapter is available below with changes shown in red.
The City of Edwardsville invites feedback on draft sections of the zoning at an open house scheduled as follows:
Date: Monday, February 11, 2019
Time: 7:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Location: City Council Chambers of City Hall (118 Hillsboro Ave., Edwardsville, IL 62025)
Topics: B-1 Downtown Central Business District and MU-1 Downtown Mixed Use District
If have any questions or comments on the B-1 and MU-1 sections, please contact Emily Fultz, AICP, City Planner, at email@example.com or (618) 692-7535. Thank you for taking the time to review these documents. We look forward to your feedback and hope to see you at the open house.
October 4, 2018 Open House and Downtown Walking Tour
The first open house for the Zoning Code Update will take place as follows:
Date: Thursday, October 4, 2018
Time: 7:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Location: City Council Chambers of City Hall (118 Hillsboro Ave., Edwardsville, IL 62025)
Topics: B-1 Central Business District (Downtown) and B-3 Mixed Use Business District
The event is open to the public and attendance is encouraged. The open house will begin with a brief (5-10 minute) presentation followed by an open house allowing attendees to come and go as their schedules permit. Stations will be set up to collect feedback on topics related to the Downtown B-1 Central Business District and the B-3 Mixed Use Business District. Before the open house, we invite you to participate in a self-guided Downtown Walking Tour (see below).
It may be helpful to review the following documents:
City of Edwardsville Zoning Map
B-1 Central Business District
B-2 Commercial / Business District
B-3 Mixed Use Business District
Code Assessment - Final Report
Downtown Walking Tour
We invite you to participate in a self-guided walking awareness tour of the downtown area on a day and at the time that works best for you. The tour consists of a 1.8 mile walk that will take about an hour to complete. Click the link below for more information, including instructions, a route map, and questions to ask yourself while you walk. We hope you enjoy the walk and come away with a new understanding of downtown.